Friday, May 8, 2009

Daddy and Me

Did you know people are prejudiced against stay-at-home Daddies? What is the deal with that? I think people are just jealous that I have such a supportive husband. I am a teacher in South Central Los Angeles. I love teaching in the inner city. I've heard gangster rap songs talking about the streets around the school that I work. I feel that I am making a difference where I work. I am making my mark and leaving a legacy. I love my job and I am not ready to leave at this time in my life. I asked my husband if he would mind staying at home with the baby while I continued my career. I get a full salary to work until 2:30 and get 3 months off a year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate the awesomeness. It was very important to me that my baby did not have to go to Day Care, so we made it work. I work and then my husband works from home when I get home. It works very well.

I was not aware of the prejudice until my husband started getting comments when he would go out with Audrey like, "Where is her Mommy?" My husband told me everyone would try to give their opinion on how important it was for Mommy to be with the baby. Strangers would question his ability to take care of her. One woman even said to him, "I would never let my husband hold my baby. I am afraid he would drop her."

I think that part of the prejudice has to do with women having a bitterness toward men. They have been hurt, so they do not think men are capable caretakers. I also think it has to do with ignorance. This is not the caveman times where the man has to go out and hunt so he can provide dinner. We should be embracing the flexibility we now have in our lives to do the things we dream and include our children in our dreams as well.

I know this, as a little girl, I always dreamed of meeting a man who would be my cheerleader and support my decisions. I also always wanted to have a child that knew her Daddy and was connected to him on an emotional level. I have gotten my wish. I have it all.

Audrey loves her Daddy so much. I love watching their connection. He is so good with her and always knows exactly what she wants. He is such a good care-taker and I am so proud of him. Audrey knows she is safe in his arms. He promised her when she was born he would always protect her. He has done more than this. He has given both Audrey and I the life we love and the life we deserve.

To the working moms out there: If you are happy and you want to go back to work, you can. We are proof of that. Make it work. I know if I told my husband I do not want to work anymore, he would let me stop in a heartbeat. Who knows? Maybe, someday I will stay at home, but wouldn't you rather have that option? I am happy I do.

Love,

Today's Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment